- This event has passed.
Therapy Dog Evaluation @ Opportunity Barks
June 11, 2017 @ 10:45 am - 1:00 pm
Think your pup might have what it takes to be a therapy dog? If they’ve completed some type of obedience training (puppy classes do not count) OR have earned a Canine Good Citizen title from the AKC, bring them out to Opportunity Barks on Scotts Lane to meet Alicia Harantschuk and Steve Kenyon of Comfort Caring Canines. (Please note other requirements at the end of this post.)
They’ll be evaluating candidates to become therapy dogs. Here’s what to expect —
- Participants arrive 10-15 min before the scheduled start time (11AM)
- Once everyone is checked in (paperwork signed) we get down to business
- Alicia and Steve will make opening remarks reminding people of what they are looking for and reminding everyone to have FUN!
- The evaluation will start with temperament. Each person goes through temperament individually. 5 different people will approach and greet the dog with crutches, walker, cane and wheelchair. This portion of the test is pass/fail. If they pass, they will move on to the obedience portion
- Once everyone has completed temperament, there will be a brief break (5-10 min). Attendees can potty their dog or get them back into work mode with treats etc. This is the ONLY time handlers are permitted to use treats during the test.
- Next comes the obedience portion. Dog must show ability to follow basic commands like sit, down, come when called, and loose leash walking around distractions and food.
- Once everyone has completed the obedience portion, they will line up for an extended stay. As a group they will complete a 90 second stay. Handlers can choose sit or down, it doesn’t matter. Most will tell you it is the longest 90 seconds of their life!
Those that pass will walk out with their ID badges, certificates and even insurance coverage (effective immediately). Alicia and Steve will also go over a few keys points about making visits, what to expect as a new CCC member and member support.
- Registration Required. The maximum number of attendees is six — please register with Caring Comfort Canines at email@example.com.
- Complete the Evaluation Form. Complete this form and provide documentation before the day of the class. (The background checks can be provided after the class.)