Cat R.I.P.

A beautiful plant poses special dangers to cats. Dr. Patten gives you the low down.

Spring is here! Flowers are blooming and you may have fresh cut flowers brightening up your home. Many cats like to nibble on and ingest the flowers and leaves from bouquets or indoor plants. Around spring time, lilies are very popular.

They are, however, extremely toxic to cats when ingested. Ingestion of even a few leaves of a lily can cause kidney damage. Seeking treatment immediately is the best chance for your cat to make a full recovery. Delaying treatment can cause permanent and even lethal harm to your cat’s kidneys.  Signs of lily ingestion may include lethargy, vomiting, depression, decreased appetite, and changes in urination or drinking behavior.

If you think your pet may have ingested a toxin, call your veterinarian immediately.  You can also call ASPCA Poison Control Center (APCC) 888-426-4435, a hotline dedicated to pets that may have ingested a toxin.  Your veterinarian can work directly with the APCC to coordinate the care of your pet.

If you are unsure which plants and flowers in your home or yard could be toxic to your pet, check out the APCC website (there’s also an app!). They have an easy to search data base of toxic plants, foods, and household products. And remember, a plant, medication, or food that may be safe for a dog to eat, is not always safe for a cat to eat. Cats metabolize some toxins very differently from dogs.

About Dr. Patten
Dr. Patten, owner of Liberty Vet Clinic in Roxborough, has extensive experience in preventative care, dental procedures, emergency medicine, and soft tissue surgery. She lives on Fox Street in East Falls with her husband and their two sons.

Liberty Vet Clinic
8919 Ridge Ave
(215) 483-1066

Extended Hours:
Mon.-Thurs. 9AM-7PM
Friday:  9AM-1PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday:  9AM-1PM


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *